I came to Ecuador not knowing much about the country. After spending almost twenty-four hours here, I am surprised by how much I have already learned. My very first impression came after spending time in Guayaquil where we spent our first night. I was struck by how much history and culture there is, and how quickly it is evident to a visitor. We were lucky to be accompanied by our guide, Sebastian, who was very knowledgeable and generous with us. His passion for his country was evident and it was inspiring to see someone so proud of where he comes from. It made me think of something I realized a while ago: you should never be ashamed of where you come from. Sebastian told us about all the new developments in Ecuador and how much it has changed for the better in recent years. I was completely unaware of how much everything had changed, so much so that Cuenca is now considered one of the best places to live in the world. Foreigners from all over come to Cuenca to live. I was amazed by how so much could change in so little time. I feel like people write off developing countries and countries that struggle with political unrest and war, believing that they will never change. Ecuador is certainly a lesson against such thought. It also shows that strong leadership that truly cares about the people can make the difference.
The drive up to Cuenca through the Andes Mountains was breathtaking. I honestly felt like we were on top of the world. Actually looking down on clouds was the most surreal feeling. The beauty continued when we got to the city. But the beauty is in the way of life of the Cuencans. Although I have not even spent an entire day here, I am amazed by the healthy living. My first impression was how fresh the air is. The city is clean and there are parks all over. In a city I did not expect to see patches of corn growing, but that made me think of another lesson. You cannot assume things about another place until you have visited. I am sure we all came here today with a picture of what Ecuador would be like in their heads. I know I did. And my picture certainly did not include a national initiative towards inclusivity especially towards those with “special abilities.” I did not picture a sign language translator at the bottom of the television screen or a park specially designed for kids with disabilities. My first impression of Cuenca and Ecuador as a whole makes me extremely excited for the next nine days.
-Angie Barrall
Sebastian, our English-speaking guide, telling us about the history of Guayaquil
Just a few of the MANY iguanas that live in the plaza in the middle of Guayaquil. Although the gates of the plaza are open, the iguanas never leave the plaza!!
Our team in front of the GUAYAQUIL letters
An incredible view during our drive from Guayaquil to Cuenca, a city over 8,000 feet above sea level!!
Some alpacas we saw on the side of the road
Ana talks to us about efforts to improve awareness of sugar, fat, and salt in junk food in Ecuador. They use a traffic light labeling system so that everyone can visually see the levels of sugar/fat/salt in whatever they're consuming.
The front of the University of Cuenca, our meeting point every morning







No comments:
Post a Comment