Wednesday, May 27, 2015

El sexto día (Day 6)

(Tuesday, May 26, 2015)

I can breathe, literally. Entering the community today was a breath of fresh air. We were immediately greeted with familiar faces, cool air and a sense of optimism of what the day would bring. The day prior, our group spoke about finding a common ground in order to better communicate with the community's students--a perfect segue into today.

Today, my nerves were calm and I was less self conscious about my Spanish-speaking abilities. I took time to work with group two or the 1st through 3rd graders; I was immediately called to help with math, specially long division. Here, I noticed that where I thought language was the main barrier, the students more than ever just wanted to learn and gain individual attention in doing so. Today was not focused on language, insecurities, or even the feeling of sickness. Today was filled with a need for an instructor and my ability to assist the students in any way needed. This was our common ground.

I hope more than anything that we can continue to help and assist these students as needed. They are bright, eager to learn, and accepting of us all. My gift is being able to teach in the way they need--a small token for all that this community has already given to me.

-India Goodman
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was our second day working at the Efraín Naula School, and I can honestly say it went a lot smoother than our first day there. The kids were more open with us since they had an idea of who we were, which then allowed us to feel more comfortable around them. Still, I felt a tinge of awkwardness whenever they would say something that I couldn't understand. As a non-Spanish speaker, I had to learn how to communicate with the kids by using facial expressions and other gestures. It surely is a relief that kids are still accepting of my presence in the community even though it is evident that I don't speak the same language as them. As the week goes on, I hope to continue to learn a little bit of Spanish so that I'm not completely clueless when it comes to talking to the kids. 

-Lauren Lee
 Eating our lunch and enjoying the view
 A group picture with Segundo, our driver!
 So, so beautiful
 A University of Cuenca exchange students gives us a walking tour of Cuenca
 Pretty street art in Cuenca
 Walking down the street in Cuenca
 Learning about fair trade in Ecuador
 The first fair trade store in Cuenca! 
 The owner of the store invited us to join her at one of her favorite restaurants to try some typical Ecuadorian food, including a drink called morocho
 Children play during recess on a cloudy day
 View of the schoolyard and beyond from the top of a hill
 India walks hand in hand with new friends from the preschool classroom
 Bo plays basketball with some of the older boys
 Learning some kichwa, the indigenous language spoken by many people in this community
Jessi getting her hair braided by some of the younger girls. Braids, or trenzas, are very popular in this community!

No comments:

Post a Comment